Friday, August 2, 2013

Long Course Season is over

Wow, what an end to the long course swimming season it was for Josh.  We went to Cedar City for the Beehive Finale State Meet July 20 & 21.  He swam 50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 100 back, 200 back and 200 I/M.  Busy couple of days for us both.  Here are his finishes respectively: 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 6th, 5th and 1st.  He also had some big time drops which hasn't happened for him in a while so it was really awesome that Marlin came with us to watch him.  His biggest drop was in the 200 back with almost 6 seconds!  I spent the weekend officiating so I got front row seating.  Makes it hard to be a mom however cause I want to cheer for him (I do sneak a couple of screams now and then) but it's frowned on because we are supposed to be unbiased officials.  I really try to make it so I'm not on deck when he swims and I take my credentials off so I can cheer. 

The last and final meet was the Long Course State Championship.  He qualified to swim on Thurs. July 25th for the 200 fly and Sat. the 27th for the 100 fly.  He also swam on a couple of relays; the 200 free and 400 free.  This meet didn't turn out quite like he had hoped but he still was amazing to watch.  He wasn't able to medal or ribbon for the 100 fly but he did metal in 8th place for his 200 fly.   His coach told him that leg of the relays were fast enough to be state cuts (why he doesn't swim that fast when he's in the individual events is hard for me to understand).  I've told him if he can swim them that fast in the relays, he can swim that fast in the individual events.  Time will tell.  He is very excited for next year, both short course and high school. 

Speaking of high school, I can't believe he's going to be a senior this year!  I know I'm going to be the biggest baby all year long.  Everything that happens in senior year just seems to be extra special. Makes me want to cry just thinking about it.  More about high school soon.


No comments: